Over in good ol’ Philly, my boyfriend made Bacon Jam yesterday! It’s apparently crazy delicious and, I mean c’mon, it’s bacon.
Mark’s Daily Apple by the way – the website from that link – is fucking awesome. I think that’s the first “fuck” I’ve written on my blog, but it’s a well deserved first “fuck” (that sounds more sexual than I want it to be). But really, if you are interested at all about Paleo, good food, a healthy lifestyle, I’d follow his website. That’s what I first started reading and wouldn’t ya know it, I’m hooked.
Anyway, back to bacon. He made jam and it was an easy recipe to follow. So it’s tasty and convenient – like McDonalds…but not.
- 12 to 16 ounces of bacon (340 g to 450 g)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (5 ml)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (a pinch)
- 1/2 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder (2.5 ml)
- 1/2 of a chipotle pepper en adobo, chopped (or more, but these canned peppers add a lot of heat)
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar (30 ml)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (15 ml)
- 1/2 cup strongly brewed coffee (120 ml)
- 1/2 cup water (120 ml)
(I copied these right from Mark’s Daily Apple and take no credit for the original creation of bacon jam)
Let me know how it goes for you if you make it, I’d love to hear other people’s responses. Bacon, yay!